Thursday 11 December 2008

Movie: "The Children"

I went to see "The Children" on Tuesday night at my local cinema.
The film is a British Horror (no groans, give it a chance!) with a seemingly basic plot.

Here's the short version. Woman #1 and her husband take the kids to stay with her sister, Woman #2, her husband and their kids. It's a few days after Christmas. The kids start being weird, the next thing you know, they're killing everyone.

Now, I know that that sounds pretty crappy, but the long version is much better.
However, I'm not going to ruin it, as I think you should watch the movie. You'll have to deal with the as far as plot goes.

The acting by these young children was amazing. They were amazing, and it was the first big performance for three of them. Hannah Tointon (Casey) is much better than I would've given her credit for hearing she's a former Hollyoaks cast member.

However, I believe that because this is a child-based film (title says it all), the acting by the four "grown-ups" isn't being appreciated. As a huge fan of Rachel Shelley anyway, I'll happily say that she didn't disappoint. Having only ever seen Eva Birthistle in 'Imagine Me & You', it was great to see her in a more serious role (it is hard to be 'ecstatic' when your children are trying to kill you).
Stephen Campbell Moore and Jeremy Sheffield were also fantastic, as usual. But enough about the acting!

I thought the story was going to be predictable and boring, but I couldn't have been more wrong.
However, I do believe that the film's original title "The Day" would have been much more fitting!

Great plot, great acting and plenty of gore! Right up my street.
Basically, I think it's worth a watch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment