Sunday 6 December 2009

10 songs that you should be listening to.

Another one of my 'favourite songs of the moment' lists. Slightly more detail this time, which I'm thinking will be permanent. I'm also pretty sure that including album artwork is going to be a permanent feature too. Hopefully, you'll give these songs a listen and like at least one of them.



#10 : Someday - Steve Earle
from the album 'Guitar Town'

Okay, I'm willing to admit that the first time I heard this song, it was the very short version that Zooey Deschanel's character sings with her class, in the movie 'Bridge to Terabithia'. Because that version is so insanely brilliant, I was expecting the original to match up. In my opinion, it didn't, but it's still brilliant. Pleasing to the ears.


" Someday I'm finally gonna let go
'Cause I know there's a better way
And I wanna know what's over that rainbow

I'm gonna get out of here someday "






#9: Don't Lie - The Black Eyed Peas
from the album 'Monkey Business'

I love everything about this song. It's the quintessential Black Eyed Peas song in my opinion. It has catchy lyrics, a beat that you wont even realise you're tapping your foot too, and it has genuine sentiment.

"In my book of lies I was the editor
And the author

I forged my signature"






#8: Sock Hop - All-Time Quarterback
from the album 'All-Time Quarterback'

This song, is just incredible. It has the rough sound of a demo, and tells a very simple story of a boy taking a girl to the sock hop. See? Simple. All-Time Quarterback is an solo side project of Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard, meaning that it was, of course, going to be incredible. This song is my favourite from the album, purely because it's short and sweet.


"It was the first two weeks of autumn
I kissed you on the cheek and gave you flowers out of season"




#7: Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus
from the album 'Wheatus'

Make fun of me if you want, but try and deny that when this song came out you loved it. You sang it, you knew all the words, you put on the girly voice at the end. You know you did. I found myself singing it the other day, and my love for this band has been officially reignited. Perfect song for all the teenage dirtbags out there. You know who you are.

"Man I feel like mould
It's prom night and I am lonely.

Lo and behold
She's walking over to me."





#6: In Too Deep - SUM41
from the album 'All Killer, No Filler'

Okay, once again, I realise this track is from when I was 11. That doesn't stop me loving it a bit too much. I found the album the other day in my CD collection and decided to put the whole thing on my iPod. This song is just too brilliant, and it reminds me of the old school pop-punk, in the days before Fall Out Boy, etc. We're talking Weezer & Blink 182.

"Seems like each time I'm with you
I lose my mind,

Because I'm bending over backwards to relate"






#5: What Katie Said - The Matches
from the album 'Decomposer'

My friend sent me this song, and I kind of ignored it for a while, until it came up on shuffle a week or two ago, and I really listened to it for the first time and realised just how good it is. Once I actually paid attention to the lyrics, this song meant so much more to me, and everytime I listen to it I love it that little bit more.

"You've always been the latest thing to be
With your guestlist girls and their listless pleas
Hear hear, three cheers for your apathy"




#4: Carrie Anne - The Hollies
from the album 'Evolution'

I decided to listen to this song after finding out that it was the reason behind actress Carrie Anne Moss' name. However, as soon as I played it, I realised that I already knew it! It's just such a brilliant song, that's been stuck in my head for the past week!

"You're always something special to me
Quite independent never caring
You lost your charm as you were aging

Where is your magic dissappearing"






#3: Why Can't We Be Friends? - War
from the album 'Why Can't We Be Friends?'

This is a song that everybody knows, even if you don't know you know it. Again, I heard the version in Bridge To Terabithia sung by Zooey & Class, and thought it was awesome. This time, the original obviously matches up. Just such a brilliant, simple song that repeats the phrase 'why can't we be friends?' over forty times in under four minutes.

"Why can't we be friends?"






#2: Fuck Was I - Jenny Owen Youngs
from the album 'Batten The Hatches'

Jenny Owen Youngs is awesome. It's that simple. This song tells the age old story of convincing yourself that your relationship with somebody notoriously awful in relationships will not end with you getting hurt. Don't be silly. Of course it will. What the fuck were you thinking?

"and I'm having some trouble just breathing.
If we werent such good friends I think that I'd hate you.
If we weren't such good friends I'd wish you were dead"





#1: I Thought I Saw Your Face Today - She & Him
from the album 'Volume One'

She & Him are one of my all-time favourite bands. They have a style unlike anybody else around at the moment. Listening to them makes me feel like I'm in the 50s, but everything has a slightly modern-day twist. This song explores a break up, in retrospect. It, quite honestly, shows that the memories can be just as real as the relationship itself, if not more so. The whistle solo doesn't help either.
"The cars and freeways implore me to stay way out of this place
My mother said just keep your head and play it as it plays"





Other loves this week;
- The Postal Service
- Flakes (incredible indie film)
- Inside Out - The Mighty Lemon Drops

No comments:

Post a Comment